Monday 7 March 2011

End of Year Show: John Wright

I'm not going to go on about this too much, as I'm not the expert, but...

Below are some studio based portraits by London photographer John Wright. Dan linked them to his website a few minutes ago as John is one of his favourites. I can see why.

From my personal point of view, I really like the lighting that has been used. Very dramatic and an aspect that makes something quite standard look rather interesting.

I also LOVE the hyper-sharpening - the way it makes the subjects look almost plastic and non-human. It's brilliant. I'm not sure if it's a touch cliché, but I'm hoping we can make use of this technique slightly.

The main point from these images that I have to be aware of is the background space available to overlay text. The bottom image of Noel Gallagher looks perfect for a flyer composition and it is this kind of room that we need in order to play with the typographic layouts once the images have been processed.

Just a few thoughts really.

No comments:

Post a Comment