Tuesday 1 March 2011

Mutton Quad: Canteen Cookbook & Catalogue

After a quick search online I have managed to find some decent photographs of the printed materials for Canteen. I do have a copy of the cookbook on my shelf, but I have no idea where my copy of the catalogue has gone... this saves me photographing in poor light anyway.

So, what's relevant?

Most important to note is how the design elements work across multiple contexts of printed media. This is something I want to/must achieve throughout my deliverables. I think it is quite interesting how the cover stock can unite an array of items regardless of everything else - the type does help here quite considerably though. In reference to this I still haven't clarified what the type treatment is, but I'm still positive that it's most likely Futura Bold/Black. Ironically Futura is German, so perhaps I am wrong? I WILL clarify this ASAP.

Both the cookbook and catalogue make quite a heavy use of image. I'm undecided if I will take this route as I will have to source the photographs somehow and as I don't own my own restaurant I'm not sure how permission issues will go down if I ask to photograph somewhere that is legitimate.

The main points that I really want to take away from these reference materials is essentially the consistency (type and stock choice) as well as how the typography makes contextual links to the period. It's quite nostalgic and just screams London Transport during WW2 and the years soon after... 'Keep Calm and Carry On' anyone?

Other than that, the layouts are relatively simple (in fact they're enormously simple) and executed to perfection which I REALLY like. I'm confident I can produce deliverables to this stanard. Stock selection is going to be imperative I think. Enjoy...

Cookbook:

Catalogue:

No comments:

Post a Comment