Saturday 5 March 2011

Garry Barker: Essay Booklet Development 02

Inspired by Atelier Carvalho Bernau, I spent some of this evening re-jigging the B7 essay booklets for Garry as he has recently provided us with some new text that will be used in the final materials.

My first effort is not too different from the original design as Garry generally liked what we had done already... However, I personally felt that it needed improving slightly so that the layout was able to compensate for greater volumes of copy. I also felt that the title looked ugly right aligned both with and without capital letters.


My second attempt is in my opinion more dynamic and therefore more successful.

The information on the front sits better and delivers greater clarity through the use of drop caps. The text box width also provides an easier read for the eye.

The bottom margin is double the bottom, and the right is double the left (although the indented body copy disguises this a little).

For now, all that I think needs improving is a few experiments using image and perhaps the addition of page numbers. The chunky bottom margin should allow for these quite nicely.


... lastly I should mention that I'd love to have a play with a sans-serif title, but I don't think Garry would approve as it wouldnt reflect his work. Griffo is his new baby. I'm craving to give the project a modern feel somehow.

This can hopefully come through an imaginative combination of image and copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment