Sunday 6 March 2011

Haas Unica

This is trivial and also a touch geeky, but I really want to get hold of this typeface to use within a brief. Part of me wants it because I can't have it (it's not available to licence until Haas -who are owned by Linotype- and Scangraphic sort out their ownership dispute) and the other wants it because it will be a welcomed break from using Helvetica. Even if I do get it though, I won't be licenced to use it... so it's all swings and round-abouts until it's back on the market - if ever.

Also, I know it's much of a muchness and it's being a bit picky, but there are subtle differences that really appeal to me with Unica and the hybrid idea between Univers and Helvetica is also quite a clever touch.

If I come away with nothing else, this pdf is brilliant for displaying the original sketches and the letterform development. This will be useful if I end up creating a less experimental typeface within this module.


Quite interesting to note also is the outline of the brief on page 1. Essentially it was a case of making Helvetica even better... I think they succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment